Subject to Change
YOU ARE INVITED FOR A FREE YOUTH
JUNE 18, 2021
CLICK HERE, FOR DETAILS AND REGISTRATION
Tug's Mixed Nutts Play with Purpose
The Tug McGraw Foundation Mixed Nutts Softball Program, is one of three wellness programs designed by the Tug McGraw Foundation for the veteran residents and spouses at the Veterans Home of California, Yountville. Through the game of softball, The Mixed Nutts program aims to help players to improve their physical, cognitive, social and spiritual components of their health. Quality of life enhancement is our goal for as many residents as possible. Creating sustainable programs around exercise, healthy eating, and socialization in turn creates a community support system to help better achieve one’s wellness goals.
Why Purpose Matters for the Brain and Body
Purpose in Life (PIL) is a research area that focuses on the interactions between mind and body and the powerful ways in which emotional, mental, social, and spiritual factors can directly affect health. It links the belief that your life has meaning and purpose to a robust and persistently improved physiological health outcome. Kaplin, A., Anzaldi L., 2015. New Movement in Neuroscience: A Purpose Driven Life.
How the Game Tug Loved Addresses Quality of Life
The Tug McGraw Foundation’s (TMF) Mixed Nutts Softball program aims to address “purpose” in one’s life as an opportunity to help improve quality of life in areas of brain wellness. In addition to showcasing the game that Tug McGraw loved, it also gives an opportunity to raise awareness in areas of quality of life for those who are affected by brain-related trauma and tumors.
Fun Mixed Nutts Stats
• Mixed Nutts play on Cleve Borman Field, a hidden “Field of Dreams” dating back to the late 1800s, located on the Veterans Home of California, Yountville
• K&P Weaver Vintage Uniform designers together with the Tug McGraw Foundation reproduced the Mixed Nutts uniforms from the Veteran’s Home original 1914 uniforms, a semi pro team that play on Borman Field.
• Oldest Mixed Nutt, is US Army, veteran is Bob Bischoff, 95 years young.
• Mixed Nutts’ Team are comprised of veterans, veteran spouses, and veteran children
• Mixed Nutts play members from the Yountville Fire House, community, and local businesses
A Place Where Tug Played and the Home of the Foundation
The Tug McGraw Foundation is located on the grounds of the Veterans Home of California in Yountville. This incredible place is home to nearly 1000 veteran residents. It's also home to one of our nation's most beautiful baseball fields. A field of dreams that Tug loved to play on while growing up in the Napa Valley region. And since Tug McGraw was also a marine, it seemed the perfect choice to make our foundation's headquarters rooted right here at the Yountville Veterans Home.